Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Quick Word about Dating

Dating. O brother it sucks.

Don’t get me wrong, when it’s right it’s terrific. Yumm.

So I’m on these two electronic meeting sites. I’d rather date women my own age, believe it or not. BUT, then again, I’d rather not.

I’m not vain or deluded. I’m a geezer. I know it. I look in the mirror and even though that’s not me, it’s Shreck, I also know it’s me. I get it. So I don’t expect to be banging 20 year olds two at a time.

Often.

And women much younger than me, I just have trouble with some of the trends and pop culture.

But women my age, while they are superior when it comes to confidence and strength and experience, they are mostly wrecked up emotionally. Pardon my rash generalization, but I have some experience on which to base the observation. If it isn’t hormones then it must be mass insanity. I’m serious.

Women my age and older routinely blow through the expressed boundaries I put on my dating expectations, as though age, drinking, smoking don’t matter, they’re exempt from the rules. Or else my boundaries mean squat to them.

Their profiles often bespeak the insecurity and pain of prior relationships left unsettled.

Not only that, they seem to be almost universally prone to hold me responsible for the shit they got from other men. It’s not overt, but done subtly. These women often make rash generalizations like the one I did earlier, placing men into categories (“you’re the kind of man… your kind is why”), I’m not kidding. If we guys did that they’d call us sexist and rightfully so. But that sure doesn’t stop many women 50 and above from engaging in sexist thinking and behavior, does it?

Also, women in this age group also are cooling off, as it were; hormones. Sex isn’t as important to them as it once was. And neither is it with me; hormones. But it still matters. I’m not content to enter into a non-sexual chill just yet.

So, I’m stuck in one sense. I know I’m too old for younger women who still want kids and family, but I’m also too old it seems, at least on first impressions, to women who are also family-driven but have already created their kids. And women who should be in a decent age group for both of us don’t want my old broke ass, either.

Plus, I no longer have the large thick wallet by which I can turn a good-god-grown woman into Ms. Cinderella, damn the personalities.

Oh well. I think I’ll go take a walk along the beach. Seems like a nice sunset shaping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment