Thursday, August 4, 2011

Solunar Walking

I missed today's best lowtide for walking. It was at 1040 or so this morning.

It's neat, yet a puzzle to me why the tidally-exposed beach sands are firmer than the light, yet not fully dry sands nearer the high tide mark. I'd think the exposed sands would be soggier, but they're firm.

Time to do some research, I guess.

The geology of the Delake beaches and their neighbors is also interesting. Underneath the sand appears to be a layer of some form of shale-like layered rock, greenish tinge when dry. This formation seems to be miles long but I've no idea how far out into the ocean or underneath the cliffs inland it extends.

Exposed jagged rocks are at a 90-degree angle in their stucture than the shale-like material. These rocks are dozens of feet out of the water in places, but mostly about 10 feet high at low tide, running perpendicular to the sand where they are exposed. These rock formations also appear to be related to beach construction somehow.

But I'm no geologist.

I tell you, driving to Portland tomorrow already has me tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment